PROGRAMME for 2012/2013
- November 13th -- HAMPSHIRE CRICKET HISTORY. -- Dr.
- December -- NO MEETING.
- January - NO MEETING.
- February 12th MARY,
THE GIRL FROM BOTANY BAY. - Mr. Owen Neal. (unfortunately
Mr Neal was not available, but Kay Ainsworth stepped
in and gave the talk scheduled for Sept.)
- March 12th WICKHAM.
- Mr. Brian Barrett.
- April 9th A HISTORY
OF THE RIVER HAMBLE AND ITS WOODLANDS. - Mr. David Chun.
- May 14th TWO BATTLES
OF THE GREAT WAR. - Mr Patrick Nobes.
- June 11th TITCHFIELD
- Mr. George Watts.
- July NO MEETING.
- August NO MEETING.
- September 10th THE
ART OF THE ANGLO- SAXONS. - Mrs. Kay Ainsworth. (see
above - Sept new talk to be arranged)
- October 8th TREES IN
FAREHAM. - Mr. Paul Johnson.
- November 12th LOUIS
PASTEUR AND THE RABIES VIRUS. - Dr. Tim Mason.
- December . NO MEETING.
PAST & PRESENT'
produced twice a year by the Group. It
is now at its 88th isue.
It contains research material, photographs, reminiscences and
It publishes results of studies, requests for information, and
PAST AND PRESENT
2013 90th Edition Book XIV Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2. Fareham 700 years ago. - Pam Wenden
9. A Royal Mystery - George Watts
11. The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road - Anne Baxandall
16. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims
20. Swanwick Basket Factory - Allan Cooper
23. Fareham Isolation Hospital.
29' Nelson's Last Secretary Thomas Goble 1780-1869 - Paul Woodman
33. Sunday Schools in Fareham and Portchester -
Some Methodist Records. - Bryan Jerrard
42. Nine Lives is Just a Myth. - Stan Chandler
43. The Society of Old Priceans. - David Williams
47' Fareham 0 Portsmouth 2. - John de Havilland
48' Fareham's Lost Drinking Fountain. - John de Havilland.
51. Hidden Waterways of Fareham. - Pam Wenden
56. James Tillet.
2012 89th Edition Book XIII Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2 The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road. - Anne Baxandall
6 Titchfield Bonfire. - George Watts
7 I Blew it. - Stan Chandler
9 Fareham's Buses. - TEH
14. The Geography of the Wallington Basin. - AYN
17. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims.
21. A Free Library for Fareham - John de Havilland
29. HMS Portchester Castle. - Paul Woodman
33. Where are the Remains of James Lind 1716-1794 ? - Ruth
40. A Market Garden in Victorian Portchester. - Bryan Jerrard
44. Johns Road Football Club. - Paul Cordery, Norman Alderton
52. Fareham Isolation Hospital. - Pamela Wenden
55. William Price, Junior - Founder of Prices School. - David
2012 88th Edition Book XII Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2. The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road. -Anne Baxandall
5. At the Seaside. - George Watts
6. Fareham's Buses. - THE
12. Fareham Wheelers Cycling Club. - Don Bulman
21. The Diary of Mrs M. A. Sims.
25. The Solent Shore of Fareham - AYN
29. Women of Fareham in Wartime. - Margaret Bell
31. Fareham Isolation Hospital. - Pamela Wenden
35. Isolation Hospital. - George Watts
36. A German Bomber over Fareham - Brian Pearce
38. Where are the Remains of James Lind 1716-1794? - Ruth
41. The Heath Family - Allan Cooper
41. Where Did They Live in 1959?
42. Rambling on Cams Alders. - THE
50. The Drinking Fountain.
51. The Reward - The True Story
54. The Late Cricket Match.
55. The History of William Price Gardens. - Old Priceans
56. The Last Delivery - Sid
AUTUMN 2011 87th Edition Book XI Vol
VII. - CONTENTS
2. Tom Parker at Cams Alders. -- THE,
Anne Baxandall, Margaret Bell.
9. History of Cams Alders. -- Pamela
12. Diary of Mrs Sims.
17. Gerald Joseph Catcheside. -- Paul
32. Coppersticks and Mangles. -- Allan
34. Fareham Isolation Hospital -- Pamela
38. The Sparrow -- Stan Chandler.
40. Where did they live in 1959?
46. Fareham in the 1800's
50. Knight Family of Fareham -- Michael
52. Fareham Rovers Football Club 1952 --
53. Holy Trinity Church Sunday School Teachers 1942
SPRING 2011 86th Edition Book X Vol
VII. - CONTENTS
2. 'That Worthy Church' -- Roger Ottewell
15. Five Pounds Reward.
15. Malcolm Low.
16. My Family's Fareham History -- Rosemary Woolcock
20. Heroes of Fareham. -- Brian Pearce
22. My Joining Years. -- Allan Cooper
26. A Great Loss. -- Ruth Mitchell
29. Wedding Between Rev. Alexander Arthur Headley and
Eleanor Lucy Deane 4th Feb. 1890. -- John de Havilland
34. Tom Parker's Farm at Cams Alders.
35 The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims
38. Memories Are Made of This. -- Stan Chandler
41. Where Was Hoc' Mill? -- Pamela Wenden
44. Where Did They Live in 1959?
55. Competition. -- John de Havilland
Meetings of the Group
take place on the Second Tuesday of the month, starting at 7:30.
At Westbury Manor Museum, West Street, Fareham.
For information about Meetings
or Membership, call Mrs A Baxendall, 01329 Fareham 237 723
welcome - but space is limited so you do need to phone first
8.00 per person (no combined sub.)
RIP Mrs Alice James: Alice
James (nee Hilton) was a Lancashire Lass (and proud of it!) born in September
1921. She went to Newnham College, Cambridge, at a time when few
women went to University. She taught at a number of schools before
becoming Headmistress at Wykeham House. Here she ran a very happy
ship before retiring when she married Lieut. Cdr. James ("Jimmy").
However, she continued her already well established local activities,
which included founding and running Fareham Local History Group, now in
its 50th year, and playing a vital part in the setting up of Westbury
Manor Museum, and in the restoration of Cams Hall. She did a lot of original
research into the Delme family (who lived at the Hall for over 100 years)
and published four books about the Borough, drawing on her wonderful collection
of photographs and postcards, as well as helping others with their volumes.
In the 1960's when so much of historic interest in this country was lost,
she recognised, sooner than most, the importance of local history, and
kept her ear close to the ground for information on any documentation
destined for the bonfire, and any fine building at risk. From the material
thus collected, and which clearly required proper recording, developed
the Fareham Past and Present booklets published two or three times a year,
which she edited, and which are still being produced.
BOOKS BY ALICE JAMES
Following for sale:
Our Beloved Fareham
- Around Fareham
For latest availability and pricing (and postage) email
Pam Wendon - see email address at base of page..
make cheques out to Fareham Local History Group and forward
to Mrs P. Wenden, 21 Eastern Parade, Fareham, Hants.PO16
see link on right for Contents listings of previous editions
Fareham and Area
Local History - Books and Information Sources
BOOKS - Click Here for more ..... details about on Books on
Fareham and Area History
'FAREHAM PAST &
A rich collection of material about Fareham
Produced twice a year (with occasional 'special' editions)
- Click Here for more
about Previous Editions ....of 'FAREHAM PAST &
Plus how to get copies of previous issues.