PROGRAMME for 2015
February 10th THE KELSALLS OF WESTBURY MANOR. Mr. John Gregory.
March 10th JANE AUSTEN IN HAMPSHIRE. Mr. Brian Barrett
April 14th THE CHANGING FACE OF WESSEX: THE ARRIVAL OF THE ROMANS. Mrs Kay Ainsworth.
May 12th THE STRAWBERRY Industry. Mr. George Watts.
June 9th PORTCHESTER-WITHOUT THE CASTLE. Mr. Bryan Jerrard.
July NO MEETING.
August NO MEETING
September 8th MEMBERSí AFTERNOON WITH QUIZ.
October 13th SEAFARERS AND SCURVY. Prof. Duncan Colin-Jones.
November 10th THE VICTORIAN DEFENCES OF PORTSMOUTH AND THE GREAT PORTSDOWN HILL FORTS. Mr. Michael Forrest.
December . NO MEETING.
PAST & PRESENT'
produced twice a year by the Group. It
is now at its 93rd isue.
It contains research material, photographs, reminiscences and
It publishes results of studies, requests for information, and
PAST AND PRESENT
2015 94th Edition Book XVIIIVol VII. - CONTENTS
3. Captain Newman RN. John Seagrove.
8. Fareham in 1915. John de Haviland.
22. Fareham War Memorial. Avalon Eastman.
36. Fontley Brick and Tile Works.
38. Old Priceans' Career Updates. David Williams.
39. Price's School 1947. David Williams.
40. Fareham Isolation Hospital.
44. Memories of the Isolation Hospital.
45. What Happened to the Sims? Pamela Wenden.
51. The Other Side of the World. Stan Chandler.
53. The Gringo Family. Pamela Wenden.
55. Request for Help
56. Warsash Heritage Centre
2014 93nd Edition Book XVII Vol VII. - CONTENTS
3. Fareham War Memorial. Avalon Eastman
17. Portchester's War Memorial. Graham Tarrant
21. The Coker Family Joan & Bill Coker
25. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims.
29. The Titchfield & Cosham Turnpike Trust. Anne Baxandall
33. Cold East , Allan Cooper
35. Redlands Lane 1908.. Mrs A. Lewis
38. Redlands Lane 2014 Pamella Wenden.
42. The Great Storm of 1703.
44. Who Owns the Mud at Fareham Quay? Pamela Wenden
47. Fareham Isolation Hospital.
51. The British Restaurant in Fareham.
53. Fareham Revisited. Gerry Farrell
56. Correspondence. Joy Walks
2014 92nd Edition Book XVI Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2. Fareham Local History Group Meetings.
3. William Price.
6. The 1893 Renumbering of Fareham. - John de Havilland
10. West Street, Fareham. - TEH
12. Gosport Road, Fareham 1937. - Oliver Hurden
17. Fareham Isolation Hospital.
22. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims.
26. The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road. - Anne Baxandall
29. Mary Jennie Fielder Cooper. - Allan Cooper
32. A Criminal in Our Midst. - Terry Bridger
42. Fareham in 1914. - John de Havilland
54. When the World Came to St. Mary's Portchester. - Jan
2013 91st Edition Book XV Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2. Change to Fareham Local History Group Meetings.
4. Charlie Carver -a Correction.
5. Daisy and Ray Grant
6. Ada Edds and World War II Memories.
9. Price's School and the Great War. Brian Pearce.
12. Gosport Road - Past & Present
14. Fareham Isolation Hospital.
22. Lysses House School.
34. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims.
40. The 1893 Renumbering of Fareham. John de Havilland
46. The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road. Anne Baxandall.
51. John Sharpe. RAF Allan Cooper.
53. The Martell Family in Portchester. Bryan Jerrard &
55. Ode to the River Wallington. Stan Chandler.
2013 90th Edition Book XIV Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2. Fareham 700 years ago. - Pam Wenden
9. A Royal Mystery - George Watts
11. The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road - Anne Baxandall
16. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims
20. Swanwick Basket Factory - Allan Cooper
23. Fareham Isolation Hospital.
29' Nelson's Last Secretary Thomas Goble 1780-1869 - Paul
33. Sunday Schools in Fareham and Portchester - Some Methodist
Records. - Bryan Jerrard
42. Nine Lives is Just a Myth. - Stan Chandler
43. The Society of Old Priceans. - David Williams
47' Fareham 0 Portsmouth 2. - John de Havilland
48' Fareham's Lost Drinking Fountain. - John de Havilland.
51. Hidden Waterways of Fareham. - Pam Wenden
56. James Tillet.
2012 89th Edition Book XIII Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2 The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road. - Anne Baxandall
6 Titchfield Bonfire. - George Watts
7 I Blew it. - Stan Chandler
9 Fareham's Buses. - TEH
14. The Geography of the Wallington Basin. - AYN
17. The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims.
21. A Free Library for Fareham - John de Havilland
29. HMS Portchester Castle. - Paul Woodman
33. Where are the Remains of James Lind 1716-1794 ? -
40. A Market Garden in Victorian Portchester. - Bryan
44. Johns Road Football Club. - Paul Cordery, Norman Alderton
52. Fareham Isolation Hospital. - Pamela Wenden
55. William Price, Junior - Founder of Prices School.
- David Williams
2012 88th Edition Book XII Vol VII. - CONTENTS
2. The Titchfield-Cosham Turnpike Road. -Anne Baxandall
5. At the Seaside. - George Watts
6. Fareham's Buses. - THE
12. Fareham Wheelers Cycling Club. - Don Bulman
21. The Diary of Mrs M. A. Sims.
25. The Solent Shore of Fareham - AYN
29. Women of Fareham in Wartime. - Margaret Bell
31. Fareham Isolation Hospital. - Pamela Wenden
35. Isolation Hospital. - George Watts
36. A German Bomber over Fareham - Brian Pearce
38. Where are the Remains of James Lind 1716-1794? - Ruth
41. The Heath Family - Allan Cooper
41. Where Did They Live in 1959?
42. Rambling on Cams Alders. - THE
50. The Drinking Fountain.
51. The Reward - The True Story
54. The Late Cricket Match.
55. The History of William Price Gardens. - Old Priceans
56. The Last Delivery - Sid
AUTUMN 2011 87th Edition Book XI Vol
VII. - CONTENTS
2. Tom Parker at Cams Alders. -- THE,
Anne Baxandall, Margaret Bell.
9. History of Cams Alders. -- Pamela
12. Diary of Mrs Sims.
17. Gerald Joseph Catcheside. -- Paul
32. Coppersticks and Mangles. -- Allan
34. Fareham Isolation Hospital -- Pamela
38. The Sparrow -- Stan Chandler.
40. Where did they live in 1959?
46. Fareham in the 1800's
50. Knight Family of Fareham -- Michael
52. Fareham Rovers Football Club 1952 --
53. Holy Trinity Church Sunday School Teachers 1942
SPRING 2011 86th Edition Book X Vol
VII. - CONTENTS
2. 'That Worthy Church' -- Roger Ottewell
15. Five Pounds Reward.
15. Malcolm Low.
16. My Family's Fareham History -- Rosemary Woolcock
20. Heroes of Fareham. -- Brian Pearce
22. My Joining Years. -- Allan Cooper
26. A Great Loss. -- Ruth Mitchell
29. Wedding Between Rev. Alexander Arthur Headley and
Eleanor Lucy Deane 4th Feb. 1890. -- John de Havilland
34. Tom Parker's Farm at Cams Alders.
35 The Diary of Mrs M.A. Sims
38. Memories Are Made of This. -- Stan Chandler
41. Where Was Hoc' Mill? -- Pamela Wenden
44. Where Did They Live in 1959?
55. Competition. -- John de Havilland
Meetings of the Group
take place on the Second Tuesday of the month, FROM
FEB 2014 THEY WILL BE AT 2:30PM
At Westbury Manor Museum, West Street, Fareham.
For information about Meetings
or Membership, call Mrs A Baxendall, 01329 Fareham 237 723
(Visitors welcome - £2 per meeting
- but space is limited so you do need to phone first please.)
8.00 per person (no combined sub.)
RIP Mrs Alice James: Alice
James (nee Hilton) was a Lancashire Lass (and proud of it!) born in September
1921. She went to Newnham College, Cambridge, at a time when few
women went to University. She taught at a number of schools before
becoming Headmistress at Wykeham House. Here she ran a very happy
ship before retiring when she married Lieut. Cdr. James ("Jimmy").
However, she continued her already well established local activities,
which included founding and running Fareham Local History Group, now in
its 50th year, and playing a vital part in the setting up of Westbury
Manor Museum, and in the restoration of Cams Hall. She did a lot of original
research into the Delme family (who lived at the Hall for over 100 years)
and published four books about the Borough, drawing on her wonderful collection
of photographs and postcards, as well as helping others with their volumes.
In the 1960's when so much of historic interest in this country was lost,
she recognised, sooner than most, the importance of local history, and
kept her ear close to the ground for information on any documentation
destined for the bonfire, and any fine building at risk. From the material
thus collected, and which clearly required proper recording, developed
the Fareham Past and Present booklets published two or three times a year,
which she edited, and which are still being produced.
BOOKS BY ALICE JAMES
Following for sale:
Our Beloved Fareham
- Around Fareham
For latest availability and pricing (and postage) email
Pam Wendon - see email address at base of page..
make cheques out to Fareham Local History Group and forward
to Mrs P. Wenden, 21 Eastern Parade, Fareham, Hants.PO16
see link on right for Contents listings of previous editions
Fareham and Area
Local History - Books and Information Sources
BOOKS - Click Here for more ..... details about on Books on
Fareham and Area History
'FAREHAM PAST &
A rich collection of material about Fareham
Produced twice a year (with occasional 'special' editions)
- Click Here for more
about Previous Editions ....of 'FAREHAM PAST &
Plus how to get copies of previous issues.